(Family Features) For engaged couples, it can seem as if there are a million things to accomplish before the big day arrives. One essential piece of the wedding puzzle involves creating a registry that makes it easy for guests to celebrate your union with gifts that reflect your personality as a couple.
Before Building Your Registry
It’s no wonder why guests love the ease and simplicity of a gift registry. But many couples may not know where to begin when setting out to create this useful list. Here are some helpful pointers from Macy’s to help you get started on creating a perfect wedding registry:
• Meet with a Consultant: These trained professionals are on site to assist and discuss everything you want and need. It’s a good place to start if you have questions on what items to include and what brands are available.
• Look for Special Programs: Some stores offer special features, such as Macy’s, whose Dream Fund allows guests to contribute any amount to the ultimate gift card, so the bride and groom can later choose exactly what they want.
• Start Early: Most couples like to register 4-6 months before their wedding date, which allows more time for choosing items, planning for showers and meeting other deadlines.
• Register Together: Whether it’s in-store, online or both – make a day of it and have fun selecting all the things that will be part of your new life together.
• Choose Different Price Points: Guests will appreciate a varied list that has many gift options to fit their personal budget.
• Create a Registry That Reflects You: If you’re a laid-back, easygoing couple, consider registering for a more casual dinnerware pattern that you can use every day, then mix in some fancy pieces to use for those special occasions. If you enjoy entertaining friends and family, be sure to choose a range of serveware and barware.
Making the Right Choices
With all the things needed to properly stock your home, selecting the right ones can seem overwhelming. Here are some tips to keep in mind while adding to your registry:
• Select Your Settings: A five-piece setting is meant to serve one person and includes a dinner plate, salad plate, bread and butter plate, tea cup and saucer. If you want to serve eight guests, you will need to register for eight five-piece settings.
• Factor in Some Extras: When registering for drinkware, be sure to register for a few extras in each glass size in case some break down the road.
• Protect Your Cutlery: Be sure to choose a sturdy cutting board to protect your knife blades from chips and cracks. You can keep your cutlery in top condition by registering for a honing steel and knife sharpener.
• Stock Up on Kitchen Must-Haves: When it comes to cookware, make sure to stock up on the essentials. This should include a fry pan, sauté pan, grill pan, sauteuse (round, deep-sided design for sautéing on the stovetop or baking in the oven) and a chef’s pan.
• Opt for the Basics: White dinnerware allows you to transform the look of your table year-round by changing the décor and accessories around it. The classic look will be a design that you can appreciate for years to come.
Visit www.macys.com/registry for a full registry checklist, helpful tips and more information on Macy’s Dream Fund.